Monday, January 01, 2007

In Transit...

I'm here! And "In transit" is the only good way to describe the last 24 hours and next 24 hours! I have spent the last few hours sitting with our new friends in the hostel and am enjoying hearing about their travels ALL OVER South and Central America. It makes me jealous that I am heading only to the north of Chile, but...can I complain? Most of you would say "no"!

Anyways, here is the short of the last 24 hours: grumpy flight attendants, nothing was free except a lame dinner, and Katie (my travel partner) and I celebrated the New Year by falling asleep watching the in flight movie: The DaVinci Code (and yes, I fell asleep before it was even midnight on the west coast!) I felt a little lame, but I wasn't banking on too much sleep in these few days. But I'm hoping that the Chilean transit bus system has a little bit better hospitality than the old ladies who work American Airlines flights (they're just mad they have to fly coach for New Years...in the words of my brother...DEAL WITH IT!)

So, tomorrow we will get up and walk around Santiago until we leave on the late night bus to Antofagasta...that will last 18 hours! I am hoping that I can find something to put me to sleep for at least a portion of the trip. But, I think right now, its bed time for me (even though I took a 6 hour nap this afternoon!)

Last thought: I was sitting here about an hour ago watching the sky get dark (at 9 PM!!! YAY!!!) and thinking...wow...I'm not in Spokane...I'm in Chile! I feel for all of you who endure the horrible winters of the Northwest, but I am glad I am here. I'll tell you more later!

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you made it! As per last year, we all took naps throughout the evening as well, but did make it till Midnight to see Dick Clark. You didn't miss much, and it sounds like the 9 pm sunest made up for it!

Peter Milliron said...

Glad you made it there alive man! Hope the bus trip doesn't kill you though!

Anonymous said...

Are you there yet???

Anonymous said...

Okay...it's been THREE DAYS! Where are you?!?!?! (it finally occurred to me last night...while I was trying to fall asleep...to check your blog! sorry...this is all new to me...I was waitin' for an email...soooo glad to hear that you made it to Chile...are you warm enough yet?!?!?!)
Been checkin' out Chile on the web...found where you're headed...anxious to see YOUR pics...have fun...
I love you!

Unknown said...

Ok... so I have to be lame and ask...
Is it chilly in Chile? :)

Mr. Milliron said...

No it isn´t CHILLY in CHILE...nice job with the lame joke Haley! I´m glad you all enjoy the blog...now I am finally in Anofagasta at the school, so I can get internet during the week! Talk to you soon,

Jake <><